Soroptimist International of Guam - SIG
Types of Services Offered: Education & Training, Volunteer Services
- Services Offered
- Hours of Operations
- Website & Social Media
- Images, Videos, and other Files
- Other Info
Soroptimist is a global volunteer organization working to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment. Soroptimist International of the Americas has more than 1,300 clubs in 19 countries and territories who work to improve the lives of women and girls. Soroptimist clubs receive assistance in their volunteer efforts by participating locally in programs developed and sponsored by the Soroptimist organization.
Soroptimist International of Guam is a group of dynamic, fun-loving, businesswomen and men in Hagatna, Guam, who enjoy the camaraderie and networking opportunities that result from working together on projects that benefit the community. With a roster of more than 60 members, SI Guam is one of 2 Soroptimist Clubs on Guam. We are members of District VI in Soroptimist Int’l of the America’s Founder Region.
As is the case with all Soroptimist clubs, SI Guam accomplishes its service goals based on individual community need. Members make a difference for women and girls by concentrating on health, education, environment, human rights/status of women, economic and social development, and international goodwill and understanding.
Soroptimist means “best for women” and that’s what we strive to be—an organization of women at their best helping other women to be their best. As a volunteer organization of business and professional women we feel uniquely qualified to help women and girls live their dreams.
Throughout history and still to this day, women throughout the world face obstacles solely because of their gender. They disproportionately suffer from poverty and discrimination. It’s for this reason that Soroptimist, an organization of and by women, chooses to focus on the special challenges facing women and girls.
Earrings for Erica Valentine Brunch
- The largest jewelry party on island held every year in every February
- Live Your Dream 2k/5k Fun Run/Walk
Silibrasion Famalao’an Art Exhibit and Live Concerto
- “Celebration of Women”
- Women of all fields of the art come together to raise funds to benefit other women and girls
Erica’s House of Hope
- Guam’s only visitation center that services the community providing supervised/court order visits and/or exchange between parents
- A program that offers prevention education and supportive group counseling for girls ages 12-17 years old who are most at risk for juvenile delinquency
- Goal of this program is to reduce the incidences of high-risk behavior, improve self-esteem, critical thinking skills and prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS.
Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Awards
- Assists women who provide the primary source of financial support for their families by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills, and employment prospects
Violet Richardson Award
- Recognizes young women who make the community and world a better place through volunteer efforts such as: fighting drugs, crime, and violence; cleaning up the environment; and working to end discrimination and poverty
- Formerly the Soroptimist Making a Difference for Women Award
- Associated with wisdom, importance, vitality, strength, vivacity, power, and love: all words embodying the strong and compassionate women who are award recipients
Soroptimist International, Guam, women, girls, empowerment